(Cover Image) Photo: Martin Girard / shootstudio.ca :: Costumes: Philippe Guillotel :: © 2014 Cirque du Soleil
KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities™ OPENS AT LONE STAR PARK AT GRAND PRAIRIE ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2017
Tickets for all performances on sale now!
DALLAS (February 8, 2017) – After much anticipation, Cirque du Soleil has arrived in the DFW Metroplex and is in complete set-up mode in preparation for the February 17thopening of its awe-inspiring production KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities™, written and directed by Michel Laprise. Cirque’s iconic blue-and-yellow Big Top was raised today by ateam of approximately 50 men and women, who worked for several hours to pound 1,200 pegs, hoist more than 100 support poles, unfurl the canvas, and finally raise the roof on the acrobatic and theatrical experience that is KURIOS.
KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities™ will perform at the Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie from February 17th through March 26th. Ticket prices range from $35 to $175 and can be purchased online at cirquedusoleil.com/kurios or by calling 1-877-924-7783.
Photo: Martin Girard / shootstudio.ca :: Costumes: Philippe Guillotel :: © 2014 Cirque du Soleil
About the Big Top and the Cirque du Soleil village:
- The site takes 6 days to completely set up and 2 days to tear down. This includes the installation of the Big Top, entrance and artistic tents, box office, administrative offices, and a kitchen and dining area for cast and crew.
- Approximately 65 trucks transport nearly 2,000 tons of equipment for KURIOS.
- The Big Top stands 62 feet high, is 168 feet in diameter and is supported by 4 masts, each 85 feet tall. It seats around 2,600 people and requires a team of approximately 50 people to raise it. There are over 1200 stakes dug 4 feet into the ground to hold the tents in place.
- Flags posted at the Big Top entrance represent the 22 nationalities of the cast and crew.
- The stage is one of the lowest of all Cirque du Soleil big top shows. It is 24 inches high. This decision was made by director Michel Laprise so that the artists have a closer proximity to the audience.
- This is the first time in Cirque du Soleil’s history that they have a welcoming act on top of the Big Top before the show starts. Weather permitting, three artists climb the Big Top and welcome guests on-site with live music. It is also the first time that some guests are selected to go backstage and cross the stage on a rope bridge before the show starts.
About KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities™
In an alternate yet familiar past, in a place where wonders abound for those who trust their imagination, a Seeker discovers that in order to glimpse the marvels that lie just below the surface, we must first learn to close our eyes.
In his larger-than-life curio cabinet, the Seeker is convinced that there exists a hidden, invisible world – a place where the craziest ideas and the grandest dreams lie waiting. A collection of otherworldly characters suddenly steps into his makeshift mechanical world. When the outlandish, benevolent characters turn his world upside down with a touch of poetry and humor in an attempt to ignite the Seeker’s imagination, his curios jump to life one by one before his very eyes.
What if by engaging our imagination and opening our minds we could unlock the door to a world of wonders?
Sponsors and Partners:
KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities in North Texas is proud to have Forsythe Technology as its official sponsor.
KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities is Cirque du Soleil’s 35th production since 1984. The company, who celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2014, has brought wonder and delight to close to 150 million spectators in more than 300 cities on six continents. Cirque du Soleil has close to 4,000 employees, including 1,300 performing artists from close to 50 different countries.
KURIOS About: The Webseries! Follow the cast and crew of KURIOS on tour, and discover what hides in their Cabinet of Curiosities. Watch the 13 episodes on Cirque du Soleil’s YOUTUBE channel or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.